The JobKeeper program has opened for enrolment from today. Enrolment is the first of a three step process for eligible businesses to claim the JobKeeper Payment.
The three steps are as follows:
1. Enrol your business for the JobKeeper Payment
2. Identify your eligible employees
3. Make a monthly business declaration (available from 4 May 2020)
Each step is described in more detail below.
Step 1 – Enrol your business for the JobKeeper Payment
Businesses can enrol for the JobKeeper Payment using the ATO Business Portal. Alternatively, your tax agent can enrol on your behalf. The following information is required to complete the enrolment process:
- Identify the month or quarter that the 30% reduction in GST turnover has been or is expected to be experienced.
- Identify the number of eligible employees for each JobKeeper fortnight.
- Identify if you want to register an eligible business participant.
- Provide bank account details for the employing entity.
From our review, the enrolment process is relatively straightforward.
Step 2 – Identify your eligible employees
The process for identifying eligible employees will depend on your use of Single Touch Payroll (STP).
If you use STP, you will need to update each eligible employee and lodge via your payroll software. If you are unsure of how to process, please contact your Software Provider for assistance.
If your software has not been enabled with JobKeeper functionality, the ATO have detailed a manual process that can be followed.
This lodgement is required to be done by 30 April 2020.
Non STP Users
For those businesses not using an STP enabled payroll software, you will be required to log into the Business Portal and manually add eligible employees.
This can also be lodged on your behalf by your Tax Agent.
The ATO have advised, that this manual lodgement process will be available from 4 May 2020.
Step 3 – Make a monthly business declaration (available from 4 May 2020)
Each month, you will need to log onto the ATO Business Portal and report your business’s actual and forecast turnover and confirm details of eligible employees. Your tax agent is able to lodge this information on your behalf, if you elect.
If you need assistance with accessing the JobKeeper program please contact your Client Manager.